Friday, October 25, 2013

Chapter 16

She was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen in my life. She had auburn hair that curled down past her shoulders. Her eyes sparkled with green and had hints of blue. Her beauty wasn’t what drew me in the most though. As soon as I saw her, I felt this deep attachment like I hadn’t felt. I couldn’t explain it. I felt like I knew her soul, and as much as that is scary, it was also the first time I felt purpose around this Island.
“Hey, your office is this way.” The man was pointing toward the right. I didn’t realize it but I must have been staring at her longer than I thought. As I took one last glance over at her, she looked up at me. In that moment, I knew that I needed to meet her. So that I wouldn’t get in trouble I continued following the man to my new office. “Here it is,” he said.  I looked inside and the room was larger than the room that Bro, Peyti, and I were staying in at Babel. I had a large desk and a brand new computer. “I’ll be back here in about ten minutes to give you a rundown of your position.” The man said as he turned the corner. I went over and sat down in my seat. It was so comfortable. I felt like I could get used to this!
“Excuse me sir, do you need me to get anything for you?” It was the same woman that I just saw.
“Um…” I couldn’t get any words out.
“Like coffee? Or something to go into your office?” she asked.
“Uh… yeah… thank you.”
“Yeah as in coffee?” she smirked. I really had no idea what I was saying.
“Yes please,” I said as I straightened up my face just in time for her to leave. I couldn’t believe that she came into my office and I couldn’t think of anything to say to her. As I was still thinking, she came back in.
“Here is your coffee…” She hesitated in a way that infers for me to give her my name. I was still so caught up that nothing came out of my mouth. My mouth may have been open too. “Alrighty then,” she continued, “My name is Kassedelia.” By this time I just had a creepy smile on my face and my eyes were sort of staring at the back of the room. “Oooookay, I’m leaving now,” She smiled and then turned the corner.
Shortly after, I snapped back into reality, wanting to punch myself for not saying anything again. I didn’t have too much time to dwell on my poor choices though, because the well-dressed man came back into the office. “Alright bro, I’ll give you the rundown,” he explained, “Just as I told you yesterday, we want you to develop and come up with creative ideas to make the cities on the Island a much more appealing place to live. You don’t have to come up with many ideas in a short period of time though. We want you to take your time and really think about what can improve our city system. Is one idea per week sound reasonable to you?”
“Yeah, definitely,” I responded. I was worried that he was going to be asking me for an idea a day, and I had no idea where to start. “So basically I will find you and tell you my idea on Thursday of each week?” I said that because I was only scheduled to work Mondays through Thursdays.
“Yes, Bro,” the man explained, “But I will actually come to you on Thursdays to get that idea from you. It isn’t necessary for you to come find my office.”
“Ok, thank you, sir!” I nodded as I booted up the computer so I could begin writing out some of my thoughts from the city. Then the man left again. I placed my hands on the keyboard, but I couldn’t write. My mind was still full of this woman. Why was I so overcome by her presence? And did she have any of the same weird feelings? I got up as if I was going to go find her, but then I just began pacing the office. My mind was racing so much that all my thoughts were jumbled and anything but helpful or concrete. Sometimes, my pacing led to sitting back down and sighing. Then a simple rotation began of mustering enough courage to stand back up, make it to the door, then turn in order to pace the office again and again. I was getting nowhere, but time wasn’t. I looked at the clock, and my work day was over.
As I was exiting the office, I sort of looked with my peripherals everywhere just in case I was to see her, but I didn’t. I took the elevator back down and out of the building and walked back to Babel. Strangely enough, I felt some sort of purpose today; actually two types of purposes. Although I had thought that this Island was failing me at providing purpose, I could give purpose to others who aren’t finding theirs. The other purpose was unique though. I knew that I had to talk to Kassedelia again. I had to learn why I was so drawn to her.
When I got back to the hotel room, Bro and Peyti were already done for the day. “How was work?” Peyti asked.
“I didn’t really do much,” I laughed, “but I did make 1,000 Coin!”
“That’s great,” Bro said politely, “but let’s not gets too carried away with making Coin that we never get out of here.”
“Bro is right,” Peyti added, “we still haven’t found anything worth it around here. We will continue for a while like you asked though.”
“Ok thanks guys!” I smiled. “Oh, and I almost forgot about the best part!”
“What? Tell us!” They both said eagerly.
“I saw this woman there,” I continued, “She is so beautiful! I only said one phrase to her so far but I caught her name.”
“What’s her name?” Bro asked.
“Kassedelia,” I said, “I couldn’t work up the courage to ask what it means or why she came up with that name. She is my secretary too, guys!”
“Let us know more about her if you ever learn more yourself,” laughed Bro.

“Ok, I will,” I said. Then we ate and chatted until it was time to go to bed again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment